24.1.12

The Claddagh Ring

Probably about the most adorable piece of jewelry I've ever seen. How cute is it, seriously? It's basically an Irish promise ring. The pieces are supposed to symbolize love(the heart), friendship(the hands), and loyalty(the crown). It even has a tradition about how you wear it meaning different things about your romantic involvement.

When worn on the right ring finger with the heart pointing to the fingertip, the wearer is free of any attachment.
On the same finger but the other way round, with the heart pointing away from the fingertip, it suggests someone is romantically involved.
When the ring is on the left hand wedding ring finger, it means the person is married or engaged. *

This is almost as cool as the tradition behind the flower you put in your hair. If it's behind your left ear you are taken, it it's behind your right ear you are single. Anyone else heard of that? Anyone? No.... Moving on..

I guess my point is, what's your favourite romantic tradition? Or what traditions do you have a problem with? The Claddagh ring is definitely my favourite. My mum still has a Claddagh ring that someone gave her.
Now you might be thinking, "Well that's all well-and-good, but isn't it meant for Irish people?" Whether it's meant for those folks with Irish ancestors or not, I don't know. I'm sure there are no Claddagh-Ring-Police out and about that demand to see your family tree if you wear this ring. That would be an interesting exchange.

"Excuse me sir, is that a Claddagh ring on your finger?"
"Why yes officer, it is."
"How cute. I'm gonna need to take a look at your family tree. See, you don't have red hair or a whiskey bottle, so I can't be certain if you're Irish or not."
*runs away screaming* "I just wanted to wear the ring. It's not my fault my family is from Poland!"

As you can see, Claddagh-Ring-Police is a ridiculous notion. And before anybody jumps on me about mocking the Irish, I was born with that right. I am Irish myself. (So, my mum's safe to wear her Claddagh ring, police or no police.)

Well that's all folks. Go dtí an chéad uair eile,**
Carpe Kairos.

*( McMahon, S. (2005). Story of the Claddagh Ring, Mercier Press)
** Irish for 'Until next time', according to Google translate.

No comments:

Post a Comment